RFID Solutions for Asset Visibility
RFID Systems & Solutions
RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) is a way of identifying assets, inventory or materials in your facility without actually seeing them. RFID systems are the ideal data capture technology when you need to track a large number of unique product SKUs, have high-value items to track, routinely move a high volume of items in a limited time period, have reusable assets that have a determined or circular supply chain, or need a more automated process to track and trace items to meet government regulations and ensure timely asset availability. RFID technology solutions provide clear visibility in your business, in real-time.
Today, with RFID’s scalability and wide industry adoption, RFID solutions are being deployed in numerous business sectors and for a variety of use cases. Anything from chipping pets to tracking store inventory, to the passage of raw material into complex manufacturing systems and providing access to and from controlled areas, an RFID solution from Peak can help you streamline your business processes and maximize mobile worker productivity.
Peak RFID provides a wide range of RFID technology proven in many use cases and across many industries. RFID, and the more advanced RTLS (Real Time Location Systems), provide real-time inventory visibility. Our RFID software improves and automates the scanning of assets and overall supply chain management.
Our team of experts have in-depth knowledge of best practices in the areas of distribution centers, warehouse management, manufacturing, asset tracking, and inventory tracking. We’ve assisted our customers in determining system justification and attaining the associated return on investment for their RFID inventory management systems. Contact us to find out how we can customize our solutions to meet your business needs.
Peak RFID Services
Peak Technologies provides an end-to-end solution to ensure that all RFID hardware, software, training, documentation, onsite support, and any other components are well-integrated into your entire inventory system.
As an unbiased RFID consultant working as an extension of your team, our experts observe and point out concepts and approaches that need to be discussed to ensure the success of the project and keep it cost-effective. We place a large emphasis on the design of the system for optimal inventory control.
What does working with specialists at Peak Technologies look like? Here is an overview of our process.
Consulting Services / Site Analysis / Statement of Work (SOW)
- Consult with the customer to understand the business requirements and determine the right technology solutions (RFID, barcode or both)
- Finalize the detailed scope of the project, including all operational requirements as well as the hardware, software and services to implement that vision
- Meetings with project stakeholders and operations managers to define targeted goals and expectations
- Read performance testing within the customer’s environment using best practices
- Provide recommendations on tag selection to optimize read performance and solution success
- Written report detailing:
- Feasibility, recommended process, read point locations, and tags
- Bill of materials (BOM) recommendations and RFID pilot design and estimates
Proof of Concept (POC) / Pilot
- Usually targets one facility or plant with a pre-defined number of read points
- Set up a customer-owned subset of the solution in a controlled scenario in the customer’s environment
- Utilize the results to determine if adjustments need to be made
- Functional analysis of the customer’s site and understanding of project objectives to ensure the intended use case and business process is feasible and can be handled properly from the targeted RFID system design
- Determine optimum locations for RFID readers (dock door, conveyor, drive-through portal, shrink wrap, etc.)
- Verify assets to be tagged with RFID labels (items, cases, pallets, etc.)
- Technical analysis of the customer’s site and/or result of the POC
- Bill of materials (BOM) and scope of work for all hardware, software, passive or active RFID tags, and services that are required
- Determine the following:
- Number of readers, handheld readers, antennas, antenna cable lengths, and the proposed locations
- Required mounting hardware configurations for all equipment
- AC Power availability, factoring in future requirements
- Host connectivity availability/requirements
- Develop interfaces between the hardware and software
- Customize RFID software according to the specifications of the SOW
- Master data load
- Number range management
- Label printing and encoding
- Fixed portal read performance, configuration adjustments
- Software functionality
- Install and configure the RFID solution in the customer’s environment (i.e. hardware, software)
- Test system against the design to confirm results and that all software components are installed properly
- Work with the customer to confirm that their application is communicating to the RFID reader via the Ethernet or serial connection
Go Live Services / Post Installation Support / Training Services
- Conduct full training for system administrators and for client’s internal “user trainers”. We focus on a “train the trainer” approach so that knowledge of the system is transferred to the client’s employees
- Provide specific training documentation and help as needed
The addition of automation to inventory and asset management processes using RFID can increase efficiencies and reduce the risk of errors from manual data entry. Partnering with Peak Technologies means your business gets an end-to-end RFID solution from design to build to go-live. Contact us today to learn more.
RFID Case Studies
Chef Solutions – RF Enabled Transactions Reduce Labor Expenses and Inventory Levels
Chef Solutions is realizing benefits from high-level accuracy to up-to-the-minute data information to near elimination of key entry.
Millstone – On-Demand Color Label Printing
State-of-the-art label printing software system and high quality printer.
Animal Nutrition Industry – Cloud-Based Mobility Solution for Track & Trace
Create a labeling and mobility solution that could withstand harsh conditions and still meet mission-critical scanning requirements.
RFID Blog Articles
RFID & Supply Chain Logistics: Everything You Need to Know
Radio frequency identification (RFID) is a critical component of the modern supply chain. This wireless technology relies on radio waves to capture and convey essential information.
RFID Trends & What to Expect in the Future
The supply chain industry calls for strict oversight. This can be delivered via asset tracking and inventory management.
RFID vs Barcode: Comparison, Advantages & Disadvantages
Each has advantages depending on how you plan to use the RFID or barcode system. A clear understanding of your requirements around security, durability, cost, and implementation of the system can help you evaluate the best option for your business. In this article, we’ll define RFID and barcoding, discuss the advantages of each, and give some real-world examples to explain the difference between the two technologies.