Machine Vision System Integrator
End-to-End Automation Solution For Logistics & Supply Chain Management
Barcode and label technologies have come a long way in the past few years, but the transformation is just beginning. The next exciting development? Machine vision, which brings greater efficiency and reliability to the barcode reading process by way of automation. Designed to reflect human sight and perception, this exciting deep learning technology promises to remove limitations of more traditional equipment and technologies.
Once implemented on a wide scale, machine vision, powered by artificial intelligence (AI), will provide a variety of benefits to logistics and supply chain management.
These include the following:
- Increased speed. Automated solutions such as machine vision can deliver huge improvements in speed for several functions in warehousing and transportation. Loading and unloading, in particular, are far faster when vision inspection systems immediately capture and verify barcodes. This approach removes many of the human constraints associated with traditional barcode reading. Over time, seemingly modest increases in speed add up to faster shipping turnaround and impressive purchase order lead times.
- Fewer errors. Automated barcoding systems powered by machine vision help to eliminate human error, improving accuracy throughout the supply chain. With fixed imaging, it’s possible to scan for potential barcode errors and reject codes that do not achieve a sufficient level of quality. Without such verification, businesses risk penalties from major players in the supply chain and logistics industries — including, in many cases, significant fines. In general, machine vision solutions provide the oversight and evidence needed to limit disputes with customers and clients.
- Cost savings. The streamlined processes made possible by using this approach can dramatically improve productivity while also reducing errors and associated fines. The resulting savings can be considerable.
How Machine Vision Technology Can Help Your Business
Machine vision technology is a robotics system that utilizes multiple devices (including sensors, cameras, frame grabbers and advanced software) to quickly and accurately detect objects (such as packages or pallets identified by barcodes), produce high-quality digital images of them, save them as computer files, and gauge whether the data meets certain parameters.
Many businesses use this technology with barcode scanning to achieve greater efficiency in warehouse facilities and throughout the entire supply chain. In this context, machine vision may involve a system of smart cameras positioned to capture images of every pallet or crate prior to loading; this will decrease the risk of incorrect carriers being sent or shipments not being completed.
The technology’s optical character recognition also extracts data from images of barcodes or serial numbers, delivering unparalleled precision and making machine vision applications extremely reliable.
Top machine vision applications for labeling and barcode scanning include the following:
- Control of inbound and outbound logistics. From receiving goods to outgoing shipments, machine vision provides critical oversight and traceability through every step of the supply chain, all while keeping errors to a minimum.
- Pallet scanning. Ideal for palletizing, it can be used to verify package and pallet contents, location, and more. This can help prevent costly delays and downtime.
- Printing and applying labels. Machine vision systems can ensure labels are accurate and sufficiently readable when printed and applied. This can help prevent problems such as degradation or blurred print.
- Automated pick and pack sorting. It provides further improvements to the already efficient nature of automated pick and pack. Machine vision maximizes high-speed throughput to deliver greater efficiency and fewer mistakes.
- Inventory categorization. This technology is critical for modern inventory management, as it allows for faster and more accurate classification. This approach can optimize common techniques such as ABC analysis.
- Quality inspection solutions. Machine vision can conduct automated inspections of products throughout the manufacturing, order fulfillment and distribution processes.
- Package tracking. Machine vision is already common in mailrooms, where it lends greater insight into incoming mail, all while facilitating contactless delivery. Similarly, this approach can pay dividends in the warehouse and distribution center environment by providing real-time insight into how items move through the supply chain.
Machine vision is a versatile turnkey solution that can be used for a wide array of purposes in the logistics and supply chain sectors. Its value as a solution for barcoding and labeling is significant, particularly for data matrix solutions and other approaches involving high data density. This streamlined approach could be key to minimizing inefficiencies and errors that once proved costly.
Peak Technologies’ End-to-End Machine Vision Integration Solution
Ready to make the most of machine vision solutions and other advanced barcoding opportunities? It all comes down to finding the right custom solution for your business requirements – and integrating it correctly.
At Peak Technologies, we’re eager to help you implement the most cutting-edge tools and technologies in a way that maximizes profits for your business. Our expert team can help with every step in the process, from building out the machine vision system design to setting it up on-site. Contact us today to learn how you can harness the power of our end-to-end machine vision integration solution.